Sunday, February 26, 2017

Where for Art Thou Wynwood?

It was another inspiring experience to be able to absorb artwork in a group of showcase galleries.  With a VIP ticket in my hand I went over to Midtown to visit Art Wynwood - ironically.  I have a bad habit of not absorbing the names of the artists that I like - I think the RAM in my brain is full.  Even so, I know what I like and am grateful for the folks giving me tons of exposure to the greats as a child.  Of all the wonderful new art, confusing art, as well as classics like Dali, Miro and Picasso, this letter is what stuck with me.  This letter to art . . . I just think this sums up the thoughts of a lot of people.   THIS IS ART?  (staring at a one color canvas or something that looks like bad kid art).  It is art, art is in the eye of the beholder, and its not always aesthetic. 

I love the orchid, a very sensual representation of a woman, and then looking closer it is made up of painted toy solders.  There is a story here - solders protecting the essence of woman - really of the birth of humanity.  It spoke to me.

Ironically, it was a Warhol that made me laugh - just a blatant commercialization of an autograph.  What set me off was that the gallery agent came to tell me the story - they were in a warehouse with confiscated bills from a drug bust - something like that - then an artist there saw that a one dollar bill had the corners changed to $5 with tape = the comment was, what an curious way to make $4 . . . then Warhol signed it, a photographer blew up the picture and now it is for sale for $35,000 . . . I couldn't stop thinking, what a curious way to make $35,000.

I am spoiled by Art Basel, Untitled, Scope, Art Miami et al, but this was really a great addition to our Miami cultural outlets.  Glad I went - it got my creative juices going.



                                                                                                                            


No comments:

Post a Comment